The Dream Chaser spacecraft is owned and operated by SNC. Although design, manufacturing and assembly is based in Louisville, Colorado, we have assembled a world-class “Dream Team” of aerospace companies, NASA centers, universities and international partners all collaborating to ensure the Dream Chaser is the safest, most reliable spacecraft in the world. We have established cooperative agreements with international space agencies collectively representing almost two dozen spacefaring countries with a heritage of success that includes hundreds of missions. For NASA missions, vehicle refurbishment between flights will be performed at Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
About Dream Chaser
SNC's Dream Chaser® spacecraft is a multi-mission space utility vehicle designed for transporting crew and cargo to low-Earth orbit (LEO) destinations such as the International Space Station.
Our Dream Chaser spacecraft was selected by NASA to provide cargo delivery, return and disposal service for the space station under the Commercial Resupply Service 2 (CRS2) contract. Dream Chaser will carry critical supplies like food, water, and science experiments and returns to Earth with a gentle runway landing. The spacecraft will provide a minimum of six cargo missions to and from the space station between 2019 and 2024.
Dream Chaser Features
- Lifting-body spacecraft
- Autonomous launch, flight and landing capabilities (does not require a pilot)
- High reusability, 15+ times
- Low 1.5 g atmospheric entry
- Gentle, commercial runway landing compatible with runways worldwide
- Immediate access to crew or cargo upon landing
- 5,500 kg pressurized and unpressurized cargo to the space station
Cargo System (Uncrewed)
NASA selected our Dream Chaser spacecraft to provide cargo delivery, return and disposal services for the International Space Station. Under the Commercial Resupply Services 2 (CRS2) contract, Dream Chaser will provide a minimum of six cargo service missions to and from the space station between 2019 and 2024.
The Dream Chaser cargo system is designed to deliver up to 5,500 kg of pressurized and unpressurized cargo to the space station, including food, water, supplies and science experiments. The Dream Chaser can gently return critical cargo with a runway landing at less than 1.5 g’s. After leaving the space station, the Dream Chaser can also dispose of trash. The vehicle is designed for high reusability, reducing overall cost and a quick turnaround between missions. The ability to launch on top of multiple launch vehicles and land at a wide variety of runways makes Dream Chaser a flexible option for reliable transportation.
Dream Chaser Cargo System Specific Features Include:
- Disposable cargo module that attaches to the Dream Chaser vehicle, greatly increasing the amount pressurized and unpressurized cargo that can be carried
- Ability to do both disposal and pressurized cargo return on every mission
- Innovative folding-wing design allowing the uncrewed Dream Chaser spacecraft to fit inside existing standard launch vehicle fairings, making it compatible with a suite of current and future launch vehicles
- Solar arrays on the cargo module increase flight time in space and support powered payloads
Space System (Crewed)
The Dream Chaser space system is designed to be optionally piloted and transport up to seven crew members and cargo to LEO destinations with a gentle return to a runway landing. Our Dream Chaser spacecraft is 30 feet, or 9 meters, long which is roughly ¼ the total length of the space shuttle orbiters. The spacecraft can carry the same crew size as the shuttles.
Dream Chaser Space System Specific Features Include:
- Environmental control, life support system and seating capable of transporting a crew of up to seven and critical cargo to LEO
- Windows for crew visibility
- Launches without a fairing on top of a human-rated rocket with the ability to safely abort to a runway in the event of an emergency
- Integral main propulsion system for abort capability and major orbital maneuvers
The Dream Chaser spacecraft is a multi-mission vehicle that can support a variety of LEO needs. Dream Chaser can be customized for both domestic and international customers through vehicle configuration, launch site, destination, landing site, duration and a host of other variables.
- Microgravity laboratory for on-orbit science
- Remote sensing for Earth and space imaging and observation
- Unique microgravity manufacturing and production
- Satellite servicing, deployment, assembly, retrieval, deorbit and propellant transfer
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Associated Business Areas & Subsidiaries
|Business Area||Space Systems|