Ozmens’ Sierra Nevada Corporation to Provide Hardware for Japanese HTV-X International Space Station Missions
SPARKS, Nev., May 31, 2019 – Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC), the global aerospace and national security contractor owned by SNC CEO Fatih Ozmen and Chairwoman and President Eren Ozmen, teamed with the Marubun Corporation of Tokyo, Japan and has been awarded a contract to supply critical hardware for Japan’s HTV-X cargo spacecraft.
HTV-X is the advanced version of H-II Transfer Vehicle (HTV). The spacecraft will provide supplies to the Kibō Japanese Experiment Module and the International Space Station for future servicing missions.
The HTV-X spacecraft is developed and operated by the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA), with primary sections of the vehicle being manufactured by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries (MHI) and Mitsubishi Electric Corporation (MELCO).
“SNC is proud to service the space station in any capacity, and our services for the HTV-X vehicle show a great partnership between international and U.S. companies. We are happy to help with any space exploration and science in low-Earth orbit,” said Bryan Helgesen, senior director business development for SNC’s Space Systems business area.
SNC has provided thousands of devices on hundreds of space missions for more than three decades, including more than eight sets of HTV cargo pallet restraint mechanisms, and more than 15 sets of CYGNUS cargo vehicle Passive Common Berthing Mechanisms and External / Visual Ranging Cue systems. For HTV-X, SNC will be able to leverage this extensive flight heritage and once again supply multiple key technologies.
HTV-X Mission Hardware Highlights:
- HTV-X External / Visual Ranging Cue System:
- Navigation lights activated on-orbit and prior to robotic arm deployment to assist in guiding the vehicle safely berth it to the space station.
- Passive Common Berthing Mechanism:
- The PCBM is a mechanical and structural interface required to safely and reliably attach a spacecraft to the space station.
- Hatch Kit:
- Allows astronauts to enter the vehicle and retrieve critical supplies, payloads and experiments.
- Internal lighting system:
- State-of-the-art solid-state lighting technology used to provide efficient mass and power solutions for navigation, crew and astronaut task lighting. This new technology replaces outdated fluorescent tubes.
- Cabin pressure sensor:
- Unique sensor design suitable for the rigors of space flight while maintaining precision accuracy in monitoring atmospheric pressure inside the pressurized spacecraft (or HTV-X Cargo vehicle).
HTV-X exact launch dates are still to be determined.
About Sierra Nevada Corporation
Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) is a trusted leader in solving the world’s toughest challenges through advanced engineering technologies in Space Systems, Commercial Solutions, and National Security and Defense. Honored in the Top Ten Most Innovative U.S. Companies in Space, SNC’s Space Systems business area designs and manufactures advanced spacecraft and satellite solutions, space habitats and environmental systems, propulsion systems, precision space mechanisms and subsystems, and SNC’s celebrated Dream Chaser® spacecraft. With more than 25 years of space heritage working with the U.S. government, commercial customers, and the international market, SNC has participated in more than 450 successful space missions and delivered 4,000+ systems, subsystems and components around the world. For more information, visit www.sncorp.com.