Materials Science Engineer Intern (Fall 2020)
- Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Part time
- Madison, WI
Interns will work with a designated mentor or team to gain a thorough understanding of the career field of interest to include theory and practical application of obtained knowledge. The intern will benefit from mentoring, coaching and side-by-side work with knowledgeable and experienced experts in the field. The objective is real, hands-on work assignments related to intern’s major, providing them with skills vitally important in today’s business environment. Those interested in employment following an internship will be considered based on current openings, performance during internship, and proximity to graduation.
At SNC’s Space Systems Group (SSG) we are not only the creator of the Dream Chaser® spacecraft, but also the designer and manufacturer of rocket engines and components, systems that sustain life in deep space, as well as systems and satellites that improve life here on Earth. The work of our Space Systems team not only supports the U.S. government (including NASA), but also commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about SSG
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Supports assignments that represent general tasking in the Materials and Process (M&P) Engineering field that require a high level of detail and organization
- Reviews and interprets specifications (ASTM, AMS, AWS, etc.) for internal and external laboratory applications as well as for specification comparisons
- Utilizes statistical analyses to interpret test data
- Creates M&P documentation to be executed by quality engineers, and assists with quality engineer questions
- Initiates documentation for internal manufacturing processes, testing, training and equipment operation including writing procedures and specifications to be reviewed by mentor/supervisor
- Sections, mounts, and polishes materials to prepare for inspection.
- Performs wet chemistry testing and evaluations with a fundamental understanding of laboratory safety and precautions
- Establishes learning objectives with mentor/supervisor
- Supports assignments that represent general tasking in the field of interest
- Occasionally takes on special projects as assigned by the mentor/supervisor
- Establishes fundamental business/technical foundation through practice of internal processes and procedures
- Job shadows at all levels in the field
- Performs administrative functions as needed
- Assists in the coordination and execution of company events
- Responsible for thoughtful adherence to all SNC Policies, Procedures, and Compliance regulations (internal and external)
- Minimum physical requirements to perform all duties and responsibilities, as defined by management
SNC job descriptions are meant as summarizations only. They do not necessarily reflect all duties and responsibilities of a position.
- It is desired that full-time students have a GPA of 3.2 or above; 3.0 or above for working students.
- Technical skills complimentary to the field of interest.
- Strong skills in Word, Excel and Visio; Access is a plus.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Presentation skills using Powerpoint helpful.
- Strong organization skills.
- Detail oriented.