Sr. Material Science Engineer
- Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Full time
- Louisville, CO
- Security Clearance Required
At SNC’s Space Systems Group (SSG) we are not only the creator of the Dream Chaser® spacecraft, but also the designer and manufacturer of rocket engines and components, systems that sustain life in deep space, as well as systems and satellites that improve life here on Earth. The work of our Space Systems team not only supports the U.S. government (including NASA), but also commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about SSG
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Proactively engage with the program engineering design teams to implement M&P requirements and processes, resolve issues and provide technical information needed for material selection and process development.
- Work collaboratively with other engineering groups to develop, qualify and implement manufacturing process specifications
- Support manufacturing and integration by providing M&P compliant solutions to provide timely closures to non-conformances
- Ensure conformance of products with engineering design and performance specification.
- Understand, plan and execute technical activities in accordance with SNC policies, procedures, work instructions and specific customer requirements
- Responsible for thoughtful adherence to all SNC Policies, Procedures, and Compliance regulations (internal and external)
- Minimum physical requirements to perform all duties and responsibilities, as defined by management
SNC job descriptions are meant as summarizations only. They do not necessarily reflect all duties and responsibilities of a position
- B.S. degree in Metallurgical or Materials Engineering or similar engineering or technical discipline
- 10+ years of experience as a materials science or materials engineer in the aerospace field
- Experience writing test plans, conducting tests and writing test reports (including flammability and characterization)
- Well versed with industry standards for materials, processes and mechanical parts selection and management
- Knowledge of engineering materials such as metals, intermetallics, polymers, composites, ceramics, etc. and Non-destructive Evaluation (NDE) techniques
- Knowledge of industry processes regarding materials (welding, high energy machining, adhesive bonding, surface preparation, metallic coatings, soldering, staking, conformal coat, etc.)
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Top Secret U.S. Security Clearance. U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance for employment. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Department of Defense Consolidated Adjudications Facility (DoD CAF), a federal government agency, handles the adjudicative aspects of the security clearance eligibility process for industry applicants. Adjudicative factors which affect the outcome of the eligibility determination include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and illegal drug use.