Mechanical Engineer II - Propulsion Design
- Posted 30 Days Ago
- Full time
- Madison, WI
We are seeking a Mechanical Engineer with a Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or a related engineering field and at least 3 years of relevant experience. In this position, you’ll have the opportunity to design rocket propulsion components and systems, along with supporting hardware. CAD fluency and design experience are both required (SolidWorks preferred). Direct knowledge of propulsion principles is helpful. Our propulsion team is currently developing multiple rocket propulsion systems for near-term flight application, and is seeking to add to our pool of talented and motivated engineers.
At SNC’s Space Systems Group (SSG) we are not only the creator of the Dream Chaser® spacecraft, but also the designer and manufacturer of rocket engines and components, and systems that sustain life in space, as well as systems and satellites that improve life here on Earth. The work of our Space Systems team supports the U.S. government (including NASA), as well as commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about SSG.
SSG’s propulsion team, located in Madison, WI, includes over fifty engineers, technicians, and scientists dedicated to the development of innovative propulsion solutions. The team has extensive expertise in design, analysis, and testing of rocket propulsion systems. We maintain a small test facility at our Madison location, and a larger test facility 30 miles to the northwest. Many of our engineers acquire expertise across two or more of the disciplines of design, analysis, development, test operations, and facility work, which is encouraged to add to the capabilities of the overall team.
The primary focus of the propulsion design engineer position is to design components, systems, and supporting hardware as part of rocket development work. This design activity ranges from clean-sheet designs of brand-new combustion devices to updates of existing designs. As part of the work, the successful design engineer will collaborate with other members of the project team, with the larger SNC organization, and also with external vendors. Effective communication skills and teamwork are critical, as is the ability to quickly fit into an existing team and identify where help is needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering or related Engineering discipline and at least 3 years of relevant experience,
- CAD fluency and direct experience designing parts for fabrication,
- Experience working collaboratively with a design team.
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering principles and practices
- SolidWorks experience
- Experience in the Aerospace and Defense Industry
- Experience designing rocket propulsion hardware, including thrust chambers, injectors, actively cooled nozzles.
- Knowledge of fabrication processes.
- Knowledge of basic stress analysis tools, and the capability to apply these tools in design.
- Some knowledge of sizing and specifying fluid delivery systems.
- Knowledge of relevant propulsion codes to support design and analysis activity.
- The ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance may be required. Learn more about the background check process for Security Clearances.
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. SNC has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. Learn more about SNC