Navigation Engineer III (GN&C)
- Posted 2 Days Ago
- Full time
- Louisville, CO
We are seeking a Guidance, Navigation, and Control (GN&C) Engineer with a Bachelor's degree in Engineering or a related Engineering field and at least 6 years of relevant experience. In this challenging, fast-paced environment, you'll have the opportunity to apply your knowledge and experience to design and create the most groundbreaking aerospace and defense technologies - those that exist today and those that will shape tomorrow. What to look forward to: As a GN&C Engineer, you will be using your skills and expertise to design, plan, and develop new GN&C algorithms on the Dream Chaser ISS commercial resupply program. You'll be responsible for conceptualizing and delivering difficult and complex system designs. You're technical responsibilities during planning, organizing and conducting projects involves the design and development of new system specifications, input/output processes and hardware/software compatibility.
At SNC’s Space Systems Group (SSG) we are not only the creator of the Dream Chaser® spacecraft, but also the designer and manufacturer of rocket engines and components, systems that sustain life in deep space, as well as systems and satellites that improve life here on Earth. The work of our Space Systems team not only supports the U.S. government (including NASA), but also commercial customers and international organizations. Learn more about SSG
This Navigation Engineer will be responsible for the evaluation, testing and certification of navigation algorithms and flight software for the Dream Chaser. This individual must be technically competent in the GN&C discipline in general and demonstrate a deep familiarity with navigation sensor selection, performance and testing as well as the evaluation of multirate navigation algorithms, Kalman filters and related Fault Detection Isolation and Recover (FDIR) algorithms.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Work collaboratively with the GN&C internal and external teams to develop, analyze and verify performance of navigation algorithms during design, integration testing, flight test and operational missions
- Support definition of requirements for modeling sensor behavior and fault injection and assess model validation against hardware tests
- Support Systems Engineering analyses related to navigation sensor selection, location and performance
- Develop tools to configure and assess performance of navigation sensors and algorithms across all mission phases
- Support requirements derivation, software development, software testing, verification, and validation of sensor models
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Follow SNC policies, procedures and work instructions for all technical activities
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or related Engineering discipline and at least 6 years of relevant experience
- Knowledge of systems integration and testing is desirable
- 6+ years of related experience
- Requires a BS in a Related Field. Advanced degrees are desirable.
- Experience developing, testing and certifying navigation algorithms and associated flight software is required
- Knowledge and experience with navigation algorithms and Kalman filtering is required
- Experience developing sensor models with the appropriate fidelity to support model-based navigation algorithm design and testing is desired.
- Experience with Matlab/Simulink, C++, and Python languages required
- Ability to rapidly work with minimal supervision on projects involving both small and large engineering teams is required
- Experience with developing and running 6-dof simulation environments is required
- Experience with configuration management and issue tracking tools is desired.
- Must be able to work in a highly collaborative, fast-paced environment with emphasis on rapid prototyping and fielding of capabilities
- Practical experience working with orbital vehicles, ISS visiting vehicles, reentry vehicles, and/or lifting body flight control is desired
- Experience with Model Based Design and auto-coding process is desired
At Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC) we deliver customer-focused technology and best-of-breed integrations in the aerospace and defense sectors. SNC has been honored as one of the most innovative U.S. companies in space, a Tier One Superior Supplier for the U.S. Air Force, and as one of America’s fastest-growing companies. Learn more about SNC
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.