Data Scientist II
- Posted 5 Days Ago
- Full time
- Herndon, VA
Sierra Nevada Corporation (SNC), in Herndon VA is working on medium to large scale information and technology solutions. We work on deep technical problems that span a variety of missions. We are seeking a Data Scientist who feels strongly about supporting and improving these solutions to make an impact on our customers’ missions. As a Data Analyst at SNC, you will have the opportunity to support multiple programs across the organization. You will apply sound analytical and inferential approaches/methodologies to a wide variety of datasets, in support of our government customers. As an SNC Data Scientist, you will design, develop, and implement methods, processes and systems to consolidate and analyze diverse information including structured and unstructured datasets. Develop software programs, algorithms, dashboards, information tools, and queries to clean, model, integrate and evaluate datasets. Keep abreast of new analytic methodologies and technologies. Collaborate with functional business units to drive business solutions and direction.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Develop algorithms and scripts to analyze and interpret spectrum data and create informative products and visualizations.
- Retrieve, manipulate, relate and/or exploit multiple structured and unstructured datasets from various sources.
- Initiate the efficient implementation of methods, tools, and algorithms, including preliminary data exploration, data preparation, data visualization, model calibration, and algorithm validation/verification using a comprehensive range of technologies (e.g. software packages, programming languages, computational environments).
- Interact with end user stakeholders and domain Subject Matter Experts to understand the data and relationships between datasets.
- Translate and decompose customer analytical & visualization requirements into product backlog items.
- Report issues with processing stored data and coordinate with the development team to resolve.
- Research issues or discrepancies with analytic results that are reported by the customer.
- Brief internal and external stakeholder decision-makers on technical progress, risks, and alternative courses of action through mediums such as presentations, documentation, and discussions.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor of Science degree or higher in statistics, mathematics, software engineering or a related technical or scientific field.
- 3 to 6 years of programming experience with the ability to write / maintain scripts in Python (or other scripting languages)
- Strong understanding of SQL
- Working knowledge of data format conversion
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to obtain a DOD clearance required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS:
- Experience working on agile programs.
- Experience with agile tools such as JIRA and Confluence
- Understanding of cloud architecture
- Experience working with NoSQL databases
- Experience working with geospatial datasets
- Experience working with Spectrum data
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret U.S. Security Clearance. U.S. Citizenship status is required as this position needs an active U.S. Security Clearance for employment. Non-US citizens may not be eligible to obtain a security clearance. The Department of Defense Consolidated Adjudications Facility (DoD CAF), a federal government agency, handles the adjudicative aspects of the security clearance eligibility process for industry applicants. Adjudicative factors which affect the outcome of the eligibility determination include, but are not limited to, allegiance to the US, foreign influence, foreign preference, criminal conduct, security violations and illegal drug use.