Systems Engineer III (Comm Hardware Design)
- Posted 30+ Days Ago
- Full time
- Louisville, CO
SNC is currently seeking exceptional candidates who wish to be a part of the commercial space revolution. Our fun, fast-paced and collaborative team designs, builds, and flies the Dream Chaser Cargo System, an ambitious flagship program to create our Nation's only commercially reusable space plane. With your help, we will conduct many safe and successful missions over the next decade to deliver critical cargo to and from the International Space Station. These flights for NASA will enable us to build an unprecedented commercial space transportation network around the Dream Chaser, which provides affordable, cutting-edge orbital capability and return to Earth services onto runways around the globe. The future of space transportation is now.
The RF Communication Systems Engineer reports to the Comm Hardware Design Lead on the Dream Chaser program and works in concert with the Project Engineer and other functional engineers in execution of the program. The Systems Engineer is responsible for generation and verification of decomposed requirements, specifications, control documents, plans and reports in support of the development effort. The Systems Engineer should have intimate knowledge of the product technology and a good working knowledge of the associated engineering disciplines.
In this role, you will report to the Comm Hardware design lead. The Systems Engineer is responsible for decomposition of requirements, generation and allocation of specifications, control documents, plans and reports in support of the development. The Systems Engineer should have intimate knowledge of the product technology and a good working knowledge of the associated engineering disciplines.
- Support technical meetings and reviews, including Program milestone reviews.
- Generation of Interface Control Document (ICD), Interface Requirement Document (IRD) documents, Test and Verification requirements procedures and others.
- Author test plans and procedures for verifying operation of subsystem and components during Integration and Test.
- Coordination of engineering schedules and milestones.
- Define, develop, and evaluate operational requirements.
- Perform requirements compliance analyses.
- Identify technical problems and recommend solutions.
- Perform risk analyses and assessments.
- Support anomaly resolutions; develop and review operations procedures, and perform associated data analyses.
- Develop verification/validation methodologies.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Follow SNC policies, procedures and work instructions for all technical activities
- Punctuality to work each day and prepared to work scheduled work hours
- Other duties as assigned
- Responsible for thoughtful adherence to all SNC Policies, Procedures, and Compliance regulations (internal and external)
- Responsible for timely execution of all personnel-related activities such as Time Sheet completion, Performance Evaluations, Salary Reviews, Succession Planning, etc.
- Minimum physical requirements to perform all duties and responsibilities, as defined by management
SNC job descriptions are meant as summarizations only. They do not necessarily reflect all duties and responsibilities of a position
- 6+ years of related experience
- BS degree in related field
- Excellent communication skills required
- Ability to rapidly work with minimal supervision on projects involving both small and large engineering teams
- Previous experience and skills in project definition, simulation, implementation, lab integration and test
- Must be able to work in a highly collaborative, fast paced environment with emphasis in rapid prototyping and fielding of capabilities
- RF Tracking and Data Relay Satellite (TDRS) experience
- RF space communications link budget and coverage analysis experience.
- Familiarity with CCSDS specifications for spacecraft and ground data flow.
- Experience with ground operations of NASA is a plus.
- Experience with commercial ground stations is a plus.
- Experience with testing, verification and validation.
- Familiarity with ITAR requirements and experience interfacing with foreign vendors.
- Communication hardware component procurement experience, including S-band transponders and antennae commonly used on spacecraft in low earth orbit.
- Experience performing integration and test of communications equipment in a spacecraft integration environment.
- Experience handling COMSEC equipment and knowledge of COMSEC requirements.
- Direct hands-on systems development experience desirable.
- Working knowledge of EEE Parts selection considerations.
- Working knowledge of digital data bus architectures including MIL-STD-1553B, RS-422, and high-speed data busses (e.g. Ethernet).
- To conform to U.S. Government export regulations, applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.